Forbes released an article that was based off a study conducted by the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) that focused on the skills employers are currently looking for. 260 hiring manager were what skills they prioritize and search for when recruiting and hiring recent graduates. For started the three college majors highest in demand were business, engineering, and computer & information sciences.
List below are the top 10 skills:
- Ability to work in a team structure
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to communicate verbally with people inside and outside an organization
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work
- Ability to obtain and process information
- Ability to analyze quantitative data
- Technical knowledge related to the job
- Proficiency with computer software programs
- Ability to create and/or edit written reports
- Ability to sell and influence others
The best news is many of these skills can be practiced and applied to work done in high school or jobs. It is important to have these skills, but it is even more important to have the ability to demonstrate that you have them. Make sure to discuss them in your resume, cover letter, and interview.
To read the full article please visit Forbes’ website here.