Volunteer » Mentor
Join our 2020-21 Virtual Mentoring Team!
Students need mentors now more than ever. School closures and stay-at-home orders have tremendously impacted our teens, not only affecting their education, but their social and emotional development too. When school resumes this fall, students will encounter a vastly different and, in some ways, even more challenging academic experience. They need the support and guidance of dedicated and caring virtual mentors who can help them navigate their new normal and work towards a bright future. Virtual mentoring is safe, fun, and impactful.
Each virtual mentoring session is 30-45 minutes long. Mentors will participate remotely through a webinar service. The frequency and number of sessions will be determined on a school-by-school basis, however, we anticipate one small group virtual mentoring session every week or every other week, for 10-20 weeks, October through May.
We are seeking virtual mentors for the 2020-21 schoolyear for schools in Detroit, Harper Woods, Southfield, Pontiac, Warren, and Sterling Heights. See below for more information. The deadline to apply is Aug. 15, 2020. Learn more by contacting Cindy Kluz at Cindy@WinningFutures.org or 586-381-5066.
All the Tools and Support You’ll Need to be an Awesome Mentor
- Fun evidence-based activities at every session
- 30-45 minutes per week of virtual mentoring through a webinar service
- Virtual training throughout the year
- Continuous staff support before, during, and after every session
- Participate in a virtual interview and background check
- Attend two virtual training seminars
- Mentor 2-4 students in a 30-45 minute virtual group session, once per week or every other week for 10-20 weeks, October through May.
- Must be at least 24 years old
- Cass Technical High School (I-75 and Grand River, Detroit)
- Community High School (16 Mile and Ryan, Sterling Heights)
- Harper Woods High School (I-94 and Vernier, Harper Woods)
- Mumford High School (McNichols and Lodge Freeway, Detroit)
- Pontiac Academy for Excellence (Baldwin and Woodward Loop, Pontiac)
- Southfield High School for the Arts & Technology (10 Mile & Lahser, Southfield)
- Warren Mott High School (12 Mile and Dequindre, Warren)