Volunteer » Mentor
Join our 2021-22 Hybrid Mentoring (Virtual and In-Person) Team!
We are seeking hybrid mentors (virtual and in-person) for the 2021-22 school year for high school students from Detroit, Harper Woods, Pontiac, Southfield, Warren, and Sterling Heights. The deadline to apply is August 30, 2021.
MENTORS HELP STUDENTS:
- Develop life skills
- Learn job readiness strategies
- Explore different careers
- Set academic and career goals
WE SUPPORT MENTORS THROUGH:
- Two training seminars (Oct., Jan.)
- Weekly coaching emails
- Staff support before, during, and after every session
- Structured and evidence-based curriculum and activities
AS A MENTOR, YOU WILL:
- Attend two online training seminars (Oct, Jan)
- Get matched with two to four high school students
- Participate in 16 one-hour sessions (once per week) on a set day and time (Nov-May). Depending on COVID safety measures and school policy, up to 8 of these 16 sessions might occur in school and in person. All remaining sessions will be virtual.
- Listen with your students to a staff-led facilitation on the topic-of-the day
- Move into an online breakout room with your students
- Participate in fun, predetermined, and virtual activities that reinforce the day’s lesson
IMPACTING STUDENTS AT:
- Cass Technical High School (Detroit)
- Community High School (Sterling Heights)
- Harper Woods High School (Harper Woods)
- Mumford High School (Detroit)
- Pontiac Academy for Excellence (Pontiac)
- Southfield Academy for the Arts & Technology (Southfield)
- Warren Mott High School (Warren)
Q&A WITH A MENTOR
Join us for an online Q&A discussion with current mentors. Learn more about our program from the people who make it all happen! RSVP by clicking on your chosen date:
- Tuesday, June 29, 12:00 p.m. RSVP by noon on June 28
- Wednesday, July 28, 12:00 p.m. RSVP by noon on July 27
Get contact info and talk directly with someone who has been in our program and knows exactly what it's like to mentor.
- Complete an online application for the 2021-22 school year by August 30, 2021
- Participate in a virtual interview and background check
- Must be at least 24 years old and residing in Metro Detroit area
Allow us to pitch our mentoring program to your employees. Contact Kris Marshall at Kris@WinningFutures.org or 248-709-4488. Click here for more information.
- All we need is a day, time, and location, and a little help inviting your employees. We’ll do everything else – it’s that easy!
- 30-minute in-person or virtual presentation
- It can be part of a staff or other meeting
- We provide digital and print flyers and language for invitation
Programs, Process, and COVID Safety
Mentor Preparation & Support
Impact of Program