Volunteer » Career Mentor
Join our 2024-25 Career Mentor Team!
We are recruiting career mentors for the 2024-25 school year.
We empower local high school and college students to achieve their dreams. We do this through a workforce prep program that features local business professionals who volunteer as career mentors. Sessions are held at participating schools and start with a staff member who teaches the day’s lesson. Then career mentors participate with their students in pre-planned activities that are fun and reinforce the day’s lesson. Topics include life and job readiness skills, career exploration, goal setting, and strategic planning. Career mentors receive training and support before, during, and after every session.
Mouseover Video for Sound Controls.
CAREER MENTORS HELP STUDENTS:
- Develop life skills
- Learn job readiness strategies
- Explore different careers
- Set academic and career goals
WE SUPPORT CAREER MENTORS THROUGH:
- Two training seminars (Oct., Jan.)
- Weekly coaching emails
- Staff support before, during, and after every session
- Structured and evidence-based curriculum and activities
AS A CAREER MENTOR, YOU WILL:
- Attend two online training seminars (Oct, Jan)
- Get matched with two to four high school students
- Participate in 16 one-hour in-person sessions on a set day and time (Nov.-May)
- Listen with your students to a staff-led facilitation on the topic-of-the day then participate in fun, predetermined activities that reinforce the day’s lesson
IMPACTING STUDENTS AT:
- Cass Technical High School (Detroit)
- Communication & Media Arts High School (Detroit)
- Community High School (Sterling Heights)
- Harper Woods High School (Harper Woods)
- Mumford High School (Detroit)
- Pontiac Academy for Excellence (Pontiac)
- Warren Mott High School (Warren)
- Complete an online application for the 2024-25 school year.
- You will be contacted in the spring of 2024 for a virtual interview and background check.
- Must be at least 24 years old.
- All we need is a day, time, and location, and a little help inviting your employees. We’ll do everything else – it’s that easy!
- 30-minute in-person or virtual presentation
- It can be part of a staff or other meeting
- We provide digital and print flyers and language for invitation